Question:
How to get into gig Photography?
cerys
2017-10-15 02:33:24 UTC
I’ve recently managed to fix an old camera of mine which I was intending on using for gig photography/portraits. It’s not the best camera (a bridge camera, I believe) but it does everything I need it to at a pretty decent quality. I’d quite like to get into gig photography, just in a few small local venues for bands.

I have no idea if I’ll be any good at this, so I need to find a way to get an opportunity. How do I get into this kind of thing, do I contact the bands or the venue? I assume it’s just a case of building up a portfolio and seeing where that takes me, but let me know if there’s anything else important that I need to know!
Four answers:
joedlh
2017-10-15 18:21:56 UTC
Start out small. Garage bands playing in local pubs are a good start. There are probably friends and fans in the pub taking pictures. Blend in. Learn to deal with dark settings and ever-changing lighting of varying colors. Get the business card of the band leader/manager and the pub. When you get quality pictures, which you won't start out getting, contact the band and the venue and show them. Get a web site where you post only your best shots. That's your portfolio. When you're solid at that level, look to move up. Find media outlets that publish band photos either in paper or on the web. Send them photos. As you move up, you are going to need them to sponsor you for shoots of more advanced bands.

You will need a more advanced camera as others have advised. You don't have to go to a 135 sensor (so-called "full frame"). APS-C is fine because you're often not close to the stage and they have more reach than 135 sensors for a given lens focal length. Flash will be of limited usefulness due to the stage distances and the deer-in-the-headlights look that you get from them.

I'm not sure what Kalico's problem is with the term gig photography. The bands call them gigs. Taking pictures at them sure sounds like "gig" photography to me. I've used the term myself.
2017-10-15 16:02:08 UTC
Honestly, I suspect you're getting ahead of yourself. Oh, and, uh, YOU call it "gig" Photography, huh?

First, you're limiting yourself with a Bridge camera (slightly above the point-and-shoot cameras in the proverbial food chain). Then, you don't seem to have an idea of how things work in the industry you're trying to break into. The reason a portfolio AIN'T going to help you is that you, evidently, have no clue of the basic fundamentals of photography... probably all guess work on lighting, if not for the full Auto features of your Bridge camera. and what do you REALLY "know" about composition? And HOW MUCH have you investigated, researched and studied the different aspects of the industry you're trying to break into (ha, and with a BRIDGE camera)? I can only imagine (and cringe) at the "portfolio" you'd have with your "abilities," "skills" and "talents" in photography.

IF you ever want to be good at anything, don't take shortcuts. Have YOU ever considered getting a mid-range (at the very least) DSLR camera and a fast zoom camera? Then reading the camera's Instructions Manual? Then taking a bona fide organized Beginner's' Photography class, going out and practicing for a year or two? HOW else do you THINK everyone else developed their skills and gained knowledge?
2017-10-15 03:26:07 UTC
In the long run a bridge camera is not going to allow you to get what you need given its limitations. You are sorely mistaken if you think that's all you need to become a photographer. With that camera you appear as more of a desperate amateur trying to take pics of the band than you are a working pro with the right gear.

"I have no idea if I’ll be any good at this."

Practice, practice, practice. That is how you get good. If you want to be taken seriously then get a DSLR and learn everything you can about photography followed by learning everything you can about concert photography.
Mr. Smartypants
2017-10-15 02:36:15 UTC
The portfolio is very important. It shows what you can do and that's what sells you. I think I might offer to do a few free jobs to build up a portfolio. If you're good, that will also lead to word-of-mouth advertising. Having been in business myself I can tell you word-of-mouth is the cheapest and BEST advertising!