Question:
Can I sell my nature photography? and how/where?
Alex L
2007-05-28 13:30:32 UTC
I've been trying for the past several years to sell prints (framed and unframed) of my nature photos ( http://acluckhardt.deviantart.com/gallery/ ) but haven't had much success. I live in a small town and feel like I can't get my market. I really want to build my business around selling these prints and build up a substantial amount of sales. If you have a minute, please take a look at some of those samples and let me know if such a plan is even possible... where should I sell? Eventhough I don't have experience with portraits, should I plan to start taking local outdoor portraits? Thanks!
Seven answers:
unpolarized
2007-05-28 17:36:37 UTC
I went, and took a look at your photos over at devart. Three of them are really good. Old Barn, Gnarled Trees In Lake, and Winter Snow Scene, which is really outstanding. The rest are good as well, but just don't stand out like the three. Those three show definate artistic talent, which is something you either have, or don't, but still needs to be encouraged. Regardless of how you proceed otherwise, you definately need to work on creating a larger portfolio of work in order to have the best chance to generate decent sales. I would also suggest spending some time anylizing those three photos, and what makes them stand out, and how you achieved that, in order to be able to develop the talent you have into a style that feels best to you.

Like many other photographers, I too am still working on the best method to make a living by selling prints, licensing, and whatever. There are several avenues to selling online, which are relatively easy, and inexpesive to pursue, and from many discussions with others on this, I would suggest perhaps offering prints through a couple of the more popular, and basically free for you, sales communities available. You should set up a basic(which is free) CafePress store, as there is no downside to doing so.

I would also suggest joining Flickr, and then also offering prints through Zazzle, which is affiliated with them, allows you to set up a basic, though small store for free, and provides the ability to sell high quality, matted, and framed prints for a more profitable price. You should also take the time to create a blog, in one of the communities like LiveJournal, BlogSpot, or MySpace, so that you have a venue to promote yourself, and your stores. Then be willing to devote a lot of time for several months to build up a network of contacts, and develop some recognition.

It won't happen overnight, but if you want it badly enough you can build up some steady sales, and more importantly have a realistic chance of building recognition. I have been doing these things for a while, and while the money part isn't there, I am finally getting some notice, and will be having some of my work published in two separate publications later this year, which gives me something solid to show gallery owners in addition to a portfolio, which greatly improves the chance of getting a show.

If you are interested in looking at my stuff, you can start by looking at my Flickr photo pages, http://www.flickr.com/photos/unpolarized . My profile there has links to some of my other sites, blogs, and such, and offers some insight into some possible ways to expand your potential audience. If you like my work, and have more questions, feel free to email me, or catch me when I am on YIM. Addresses are in my profile here, and on most of my websites.
2016-12-20 09:42:14 UTC
1
Ara57
2007-05-28 14:49:24 UTC
Your pictures are OK, not fabulous. The winter scene is nice, and I like the barn but it seems to need more contrast from the screen version, the original may be fine. The lake scene has a crooked horizon, and most are just ho-hum. I know you didn't ask for a critique, but the quality of your images and also the printing will have a lot to do with whether they sell or not.

It is difficult to make much money from selling stock, unless you: A: Have lots and lots of sellable images, or, B: Have some incredible, unusual images that stand out from the pack.

Maybe you can try producing your own website, or advertising in the regional papers or magazines. Visit local businesses and see if they would be willing to hang some of your work. Join art shows, or travel to flea markets with wares in hand. Volunteer to shoot a few charity events in your area for no cost. That will allow you to network and make connections that might be future customers.

Good luck!
2016-03-13 06:01:36 UTC
He could use a site like istockphoto and sell his pictures as stock. Basically someone pays a fee to be allowed to use and download his picture. People who have quality images can make a lot of money this way. Otherwise he should invest in getting some quality prints made and sell them himself either on a personal website or an online artist's market like Etsy.
?
2016-01-15 11:54:08 UTC
From photography and DSLR camera basics right through to advanced techniques used by the professionals, this course will quickly and easily get your photography skills focused! Go here https://tr.im/PhotographyCourseOnline

By the end of this course you will have developed an instinctive skill-for-life that will enable you to capture truly stunning photos that not only amaze your friends and family... but could also open the doors to a brand new career.
2007-05-28 13:41:14 UTC
Your pics look really good. You could try uploading a few to http://www.istockphoto.com and see what sort of a response you get there. Its a very difficult market to get into and living in a small town makes it all the more difficult.

Depending on your equipment and reliability perhaps you should look at wedding photography!
V2K1
2007-05-31 19:47:25 UTC
Hate to be a nay-sayer, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to sell scenics and nature. There's just no market.

By all means submit them to stock agencies, but don't expect much.

If you really want to make money selling pictures, shoot weddings and, yes, portraits.