Question:
image copywriting I am confused?
semper_fi_brother
2006-12-08 00:39:03 UTC
I had some pictures copied on to film that i took.
I asked the clerk as the pictures were being printed, "Why is there no feature to add a coywrite to these images that I took?'
He told me "just because you take the picture does mean you can copywrite it"
he went on to tell me that I had to be a ligitimate business in order to copywrite an certain image.

I am sorry but I feel that if I take a picture with my camera that image belongs to me. If someone tries to use that image to make money for themselves and doesn't pay me a royalty I am going to sue them.

Am I wrong to think this or is the CVS clerk right?
Please shed some light on this confusing topic.

Thank you
David
Seven answers:
2006-12-08 00:45:32 UTC
The clerk is wrong - your images are yours, whether you are a business or an individual.

I don't know which country you are from but I've attached the cheapest copyright procedure for the US.
drshorty
2006-12-08 00:45:31 UTC
First of all, whether or not there is a little message on the picture, the copyright belongs to the person who created the photograph. As soon as you take the picture, you hold the copyright, as far as I know. You do not have to be a business.

The main issue, though, is how you will be able to establish that you created the picture. If there ever was a situation where you decided to sue over copyright, how would you establish that you hold it? If you are really that worried about it, talk to an attorney.

Second of all, I have never known a photo lab like one at CVS to put copyright messages on pictures. You can do this yourself, though, with a computer photo-editing program.
k3s793
2006-12-08 07:07:22 UTC
If you are serious about adding a copyright mark to your photos then you need to do that yourself. You can do that in a whole variety of photo editing programs. The machines at CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart are really not intended for photographers who look to sell images, but for casual shooters. You can upload your photos to mpix.com and their prints have a "Do not reproduce" stamp on the back.

The copyright is yours. You do not have to be in "business" to hold the copyright of an image you took. If you are concerned about others using your images then you should be careful how you us them. Unless you are posting high resolution images on the web there is very little chance that anyone else could steal your image and actually make the first dime with it.
wackywallwalker
2006-12-08 01:56:12 UTC
Of course the image belongs to you, and I beg to differ with the clerk, the Copyright Act of 1976, a federal statute that went into effect on January 1, 1978, automatically entitles you to copywright status for all original works of art, including photographs. You can read the law here at the U.S. Copywright office http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

Additionaly, although this may seem redundant, you can register individual or series of photographic works with the U.S. Copywright office at the photograph registration office which you can reach here. http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl107.html

For 99% of people this is just not necessary unless this some extraordinary photograph that requires extra protection. I believe the last person posted an article that explains why you would need this protection.
goldie
2016-12-30 08:20:23 UTC
experience a million: the international is yours (btw thats me i merely replaced photograph) experience 2: purple captivating Cerebal Phenom and Mysterio 4 existence experience 3: YWWA Womens Championship experience 6 Diva over the best rope conflict Royal Tishelle Torture experience 4: YWWA u . s . a . Championship fatal 4 way removing experience commencement undergo experience 5: YWWA Tag group Tiles Triple possibility Ladder Tag group experience The Con guy and Y2J the international Is Yours significant journey: YWWA Championship Psycho Dude ninety 9 Promo: i replaced into in touch indoors the 1st experience for YWWA and clearly I certainly have gained it and that i understand my understanding amazes each and every individual in this area alongside with the carried out roster, this could desire to be a rapid notice for the GM to furnish me a detect shot indoors the destiny for any belt, and ill take it...
Mimi
2006-12-08 00:42:36 UTC
Tell this son of a b... that you are going to report CVS to your lawer if they do not give you a copyright. Period.
micheleh29
2006-12-08 23:32:01 UTC
He is wrong, you can get your own do not reproduce stamp... that way if anyone wants to try and get your stuff copied they have to contact you for permission