Question:
Is it rude to photograph a cemetery?
?
2010-05-23 23:34:32 UTC
Tomorrow I am going to go take a run at sunrise. I plan to run past the local cemetery and into a park. Of course I am taking my camera with me so I can practice. Do you think it would be rude to take photographs of the cemetery on the way? I really don't want to impose on people's privacy. I was thinking it might be a little inappropriate and I definitely don't want to offend or upset anyone. What do you think?
Fourteen answers:
Jerry H
2010-05-23 23:42:34 UTC
It's no big deal.

Genealogists photograph headstones and cemeteries all the time. I've done it myself for friends and for my mother who wanted a photo of my dad's headstone. Tourists often photograph famous cemeteries and headstones. Nobody cares.
Facts and not fiction
2010-05-23 23:55:16 UTC
No, not at all. As a matter of fact, Arkansasgravestones.org was estatic that I had pictures of gravestones to send them to add to their archives. From my point of view unfortunately, the pics that I did have to submit were my inlaws, my beloved son and my ex husband (all related and each passed away at separate times)... but Arkansasgravestones.org wanted them very much for their site, so I submitted them. They published the pics of the 4 headstones online at Arkansasgravestones.org.

So to answer your question, if you get closeup pictures of headstones do an online search and see if there is an organization in that state that would like pictures of those photos.

If the pics are distant and you cannot see the names of the deceased, I do not see how that could be construed as rude or an invasion of privacy.
Lisa
2016-02-29 07:06:22 UTC
I believe it's best to be conservative and have high respect while visiting active cemeteries. This is because there should be a funeral taking place, or grievers in the area.
mister-damus
2010-05-27 14:47:02 UTC
I hope not, because I've photographed a lot in cemeteries.

Usually people don't care as long as you are respectful and as long as you are not trying to take a pictures of a funeral . . .
2010-05-23 23:36:47 UTC
Its art. If its not rude to photograph the living then why should that change after the fact.
Hugh Jorgan, at your Service...
2010-05-24 01:46:31 UTC
I don't think the residents will notice...

No, seriously, it's quite common to photograph in cemetaries. I do it all the time, particularly in Europe.
TC
2010-05-23 23:36:05 UTC
as long as your photographs are tasteful and respectful I see no problems (make sure the cemetery does not prohibit this action)
Jeffrey
2010-05-23 23:40:37 UTC
Of course not. People do it all the time.
?
2010-05-23 23:46:43 UTC
It should be okay, just be sure not to focus on any names if you plan to publish them or share them publicly. Just be tasteful and artistic!
H@r$hey
2010-05-23 23:47:09 UTC
not at all. its not like u knw there wud be souls hovering over the place, who'd get mad if u take a picture. i dnt knw if you know this, but cemetries are not haunted. any place else might be haunted, but not cemetries.
Forlorn Hope
2010-05-24 04:07:15 UTC
nothing "rude" about it... unless you are doing a naked photoshoot or satanic photoshoot... they religious organisations tend to get a little irked...
Jonathan
2010-05-24 03:06:01 UTC
not at all
Nabi
2010-05-23 23:36:58 UTC
Well, I mean..I would consider it offensive because it's like your putting the souls of a thousand people on one photo just for your entertainment. Many people consider it offensive, but hey. We all have different opinions
dwwa
2010-05-24 00:17:49 UTC
no