Question:
what does "moire" mean? photographic term?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
what does "moire" mean? photographic term?
Four answers:
Picture Taker
2007-08-07 03:57:53 UTC
I learned from the Wikid answer, but I know we get it when we take a picture of a TV screen or sometimes when we scan a newspaper picture. In other words, I always recognized it, but I didn't know exactly what caused it.

Adobe says, "A wavy striped pattern in an image, resembling the pattern of watered silk. Moire can be an artifact caused by a camera’s inability to capture the detail in an image," but I'd vote for the Wiki link.

You've already seen examples, but here's something I bet you didn't think about. See http://www.flickr.com/photos/samfeinstein/1037858817/ You may notice the moire at this magnification. Click on "All sizes" and check each size. On MY monitor, I don't see it at any other magnification. You might see it on ALL sizes. The thing is, the pattern in the scan will interact with the line resolution of your monitor! I didn't realize this until today. I know that I have printed some pictures that did not show moire on the monitor and it appeared in the print. I would just take my image size up or down a bit by making a different crop until I got rid of the stripes in the print. This was baffling to me until today. Thanks for the question, because the answers taught me something. Now... Do I know how to predict or control when I will have moire problems on my output? No, but I have a better idea about controlling it.
jordanmcclements
2007-08-07 03:18:08 UTC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern
.
2007-08-07 02:42:47 UTC
An effect like this.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=moire&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enTR232TR232&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi
?
2007-08-07 05:06:55 UTC
it is a pattern that occures when the image has a repeative pattern (like a tiny checked pattern on a shirt) that exceed the resolution of the camera. You can use an Anti-alias filter to reduce this effect or eliminate it completelybut it will also reduce the sharpness of the image.

It is also a lovely satin fabric that wedding and ball gowns are made of! :-)