Question:
National Geographic Photographers use Photoshop?
Jake
2010-07-28 07:14:26 UTC
Do national geographic photographers use photoshop on there photos or are they raw?
Twelve answers:
?
2010-07-28 12:01:49 UTC
All pro photographers use photoshop, including Nat. Geo. photographers.

All pros, that is, except for Ken Rockwell.

Ken's images go straight from raw on camera to his portfolio.

From there, Ken Rockwell's images go on to win many awards and accolades.

When Ken is not busy creating perfect images, which truly is never, he can be found rescuing lost pets and working in soup kitchens.

Some believe Ken has the ability to travel through time, which would explain how he always captures images at the perfect moment. Much like the global warming theory to some, the science on Ken's time travel remains unsettled. Others believe he has the gift of foresight.

These are matters of no small consequence, for Ken Rockwell could well posses the knowledge to save all mankind.
?
2010-07-28 07:27:10 UTC
Everyone touches up. It's just a fact of the industry now- you'll have MASSIVE .Raw files because they're shooting 1600+ Pixels/ Inch at maximum bit depth.

However, once you start taking photos @ that level...you don't need to touch things up as much. Polarized filters, UV screens, Telephoto zooms- those are the main weapons. They know their camera inside and out, be it an old school film camera, or a digital- from knowing how to resize it to counter the digital's effect on the image (you'll find that it makes a trapezoid instead of a square until it gets fixed), to level adjusting.

They don't need to do what fashion industry people do and make it horribly fake (I honestly LOVE that Dove commercial!), and they don't need to put fake elements in. They are paid to go to the places in the world that are hazardous and show people what it's like. By the time they've gotten to NG's level (which far exceeds the fashion photographers, because they're doing the real deal), their portfolio is massive, and you can SEE the difference.
joedlh
2010-07-28 07:24:09 UTC
Most professional and advanced amateur photographers shoot in raw mode and post process the images with software like Photoshop. It would astound me if I heard that National Geographic photographers shot jpegs. They probably use Photoshop and some plug-ins, but I can't say for certain. Photoshop is the industry standard, so it's likely.
?
2016-02-14 19:04:06 UTC
Many people steer away from DSLR cameras because they feel daunted by the range of technical capabilities that these seemingly complex cameras offer, but in actuality, learning to use a DSLR camera is simple when you are supported and guided by the expertise of a professional photographer. Go here https://tr.im/23O7q

This highly practical course will teach you the technical skills needed to operate a DSLR camera correctly, as well as help you to apply these skills in practice. In addition, you will receive feedback from a professional photographer and fellow aspiring photographers through a supportive and unique online learning format. The course offers an exciting opportunity for individuals wanting to explore the world of digital photography, improve their picture-taking abilities and produce high-quality photographs, whether for personal or professional pursuit.
2016-03-28 11:28:19 UTC
you are studing photography right?? ok spend 10-20 years producing quality work, if you are good enough they will call you a Edit: ok collect as many NG images, magazines as you can, study the lighting used for different subjects, look at the colour casts they use, --- then on the net at school everywhere start learning about light - lux, tempurature, casts, exposure etc these guys use colour cast/white balance as a creative tool, when they shoot lions on the safari, late afternoon in say 4600k light they expose at say 5600k to get the golden tones of africa, study the portraits, they find colour and use colour contrasts alot, sometines they use hard side lighting/flash to ratio shots, sometimes they use soft window light........what makes there images great is the lighting and the way they manipulate it - those guys dont need photoshop they are shooters - so if you want to get to NG standard learn photography - making in the camera, photoshop is good to know but not a weapon a NG shooter need alot of, they must be top of the top shooters, when you make it remember us little guys
2014-07-29 22:44:33 UTC
No questions asked, the best site for Photoshop tutorials is: http://www.photoeditinglessons.com

All tutorials are in video format, which makes them easier for you to follow along with the instructor. The videos are interactive and very easy to follow, this will help you learn piano three times faster. Good Luck!
mister-damus
2010-07-28 16:57:40 UTC
I'm assuming they use photoshop or some other editing program; how much depends on the photographer. The photoshoot of scottish islands (hebrides) a few months ago looked sort of overdone (to my amateur eye it looked a little bit 'fake'). Not all the pictures, but some of them.
2014-07-26 14:35:51 UTC
Hi,

To edit your graphic files you can use GIMP. The best free alternative to photoshop on the market. Download it for free here http://bitly.com/1zbn8Mu

It's amazing.

Regards
2016-02-17 15:21:27 UTC
Learning how to read music and play the piano is a very detailed process, and combines many different skills with the challenges of learning something new. Learn here https://tr.im/LearnPiano

When you are learning how to play the piano, it’s true that you require email support, but you also need a variety of other ways to have your questions answered. A well written course covers many questions, but there is no substitute for having real, live support when you are unclear on something specific to your learning curve.
?
2017-03-03 02:01:51 UTC
1
2010-07-28 07:18:44 UTC
I would be surprised if 'darkroom-type' manipulations had never been used, e.g, brightening overall, or brightening just some shadows, but my faith in the magazine would be severely dented if I ever found out that pictures had been manipulated to falsify what had been in front of the camera.
sant kabir
2010-07-28 07:31:02 UTC
http://www.doubleexposure.com/IraBlockTechniques.shtml

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photographers/ask-photographer-answers-august08.html